Lemon. Sea Salt. Crusty Bread.
Avocado toast has become a staple on brunch menus around Brooklyn. Although it's painful to spend $8.00 + tax + tip for something so simple, I never manage to resist this healthy, antioxidant rich, vegan option. Never say no to a beautiful avocado.
- 1 small avocado
- 4 slices of crusty bread
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pit and peel: Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut the halves in half again, and peel back the avocado skins. Transfer avocado pulp to a mixing bowl. *The dark pulp closest to the skin is the most phytonutrient rich. Peeling the avocado in this way, rather than cutting the pulp out with a knife, allows you to retain the maximum amount of this nutrient dense pulp!*
- Keep it green: Add lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Toast: Place crusty bread slices in toaster, and toast accordingly.
- Slather: Spread the avocado smash + lemon juice on freshly toasted bread.
- Salt: Sprinkle finishing salt atop.
REASONS TO LOVE
In addition to being a stellar source of fiber, avocados contain a magical combination of carotenoids and unsaturated fat. Humans and animals can’t produce carotenoids endogenously, so we have to get them from vegetables and fruits (like avocado)! Carrots, kale, and summer squash are all great sources of carotenoids, but the fat content in avocados facilitates better carotenoid absorption! Why is this great news?
- Carotenoids are powerful antioxidants with cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Carotenoids support eye health and a strong immune system.
- Avocados taste delicious.