Red Grapefruit. Balsamic Reduction. Gogi Berries. Slivered Almonds.
Grapefruit is magic.
Just one packs roughly 118% your daily value of vitamin C, along with a host of phytonutrients and antioxidants shown to help lower cholesterol, protect against cancers, and prevent kidney stones. Topping this wondercitrus with balsamic reduction, gogi berries, and almonds makes for a tangy departure from the usual morning routine. It's no wonder the Latin name for grapefruit is Citrus paradisi.
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1/4 C sliced almonds
- 1/8 C gogi berries
- 2 Tbs balsamic reduction
- Divide: Cut the grapefruit in half. Section both halves of the fruit by cutting each pulp triangle away from the pithy, white inner rind on all three sides.
- Conquer: Top each half with balsamic reduction, gogi berries, and almonds to taste. Consume with a runcible spoon.
Reasons to Love
- Grapefruit is a marvelous source of copper, vitamin A, fiber, and potassium. Research indicates that grapefruit consumption is associated with reduced risk of colon cancer and prostate cancer, prevention of kidney stones, and lower LDL cholesterol.
- Almonds are one of the best sources of biotin (sometimes called vitamin B7 and/or vitamin H). This B-complex vitamin is vital for blood sugar balance and for healthy skin.
- Almonds also provide ample vitamin E, manganese, and copper; like grapefruits, almonds have been shown help lower LDL cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Grapefruits and almonds together make for a fiber-filled, heart-healthy morning.